Pages

09 May 2012

A Thousand Reasons - Why Feminism still matters

Heard about this on Woman's Hour.  One way in which social networking works for the positive and very worth keeping a record of.

The orginal article appeared in The Guardian in March 2012.  It is by the writer Linda Grant.

This is how it starts:

'This is a story of a tweet. Not the one above, but the one it was responding to. I did not set out, last Thursday morning, to become a trending topic on Twitter. As usual, I woke early and turned on BBC Radio 3 and listened to presenter Sara Mohr-Pietsch's playlist of women composers and performers to celebrate International Women's Day. This led me to tweet that literature was a more hospitable place for female artists than music or theatre because all you needed was an hour or so alone. A few minutes later, I added another tweet, a summary of an argument I have been posing to young women who say they are not feminists and owe nothing to feminism: for you I'm-not-a-feminists, in 1979 aged 28, when I applied for a store credit card the form had to be signed by my husband or father.'

Read the whole article here:

Linda Grant's full article

Follow the links to see the reasons.

A Thousand Reasons website

No comments:

Post a Comment